Friday, February 18, 2011

Butcher Island


My wife and I made a New Year resolution to visit all the famous places in Mumbai. Its strange that people live their entire life in a city and still know little about it. Although I have been to almost all the tourist / historic places in Mumbai, I was surprised to hear about Butcher Island. No it is not a fictitious island straight from a horror movie, it is off the coast of Mumbai, completely restricted to public, and only used as an oil terminal. The local fishermen will cruise you from a distance near the island and even tell you scary stories about the place, for a few hundreds. But what amuses me, is that I never thought there could ever be an island of this name around my favorite city. How many surprises do you have in store for me Mumbai?

No comments: