Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Switch to my Channel

I was walking home last evening, when I came across some kids playing & singing their favorite popular song. Just at about that moment, a kid came right in front of me and started rapping "Aye Bhai, Tuneh Pappi Kyun Lee". Flabbergasted that I was, I couldn't quite figure out what the kid was saying. Later at home while surfing the TV channels, I saw this new music video and it suddenly struck me, this is what the kid was mimicking!

With over a hundred channels on TV, and kids spending most of their time in front of it, just how much filth can we actually stop from getting to them. Is the idiot box just filled with offensive material? Or are the kids only interested in these channels?


There are a few channels meant for kids, but do they ever turn them on? Since the music videos and serials are the preferred choice, some kind of moral policing seems absolutely necessary. But how do we go about doing this? We couldn't possibly have a censor board for TV channels! That will only make matters worse. Recently some popular movie channels had gone off air, due to a court order against illicit viewing. But that didn't make much of a difference did it?. It was a temporary inconvenience to viewers that's all.

We cant blame the music artists or serial producers, because they are only giving us what we want. So I think I should switch to these channels once in a while, only to know whats popular. So goodbye "Travel n Living", "National Geographic" I have to watch what India's future is watching!


No comments: